WANT TO SPONSOR ME? MAKE A DONATION AT:

Sunday, December 6, 2009



21 miles at I.C. King today!
3:53.53. 11min. 8 sec. miles average. 25 degrees at the start!

Matt, Atch and I set out for a great run! These are great guys and true friends...

Today was tough. I completed a total of 3 laps each one about 7 miles. The trails that we ran today are very hilly though you can opt out of the hills and go around the bottom of each. On each lap you can climb a total of 5 hills two of which you would run in both directions. According to the link above the total elevation gain is about 800ft per lap. I did opt out on two of the climbs on the last lap so it looks like I climbed about 2,080 ft. Doesn't really sound like much but these climbs are pretty steep.

Atch and Matt were fantastic to have out there! We started in the cold. It hurt it was so cold. Its always kind of tricky to wear enough clothing to not freeze but also so that when you get warmed up you don't burn up. So we did the first lap together...mostly. Atch is very strong and shot ahead of Matt and I. That lap was easy. Lap 2 Matt and I ran together... quick side note, Matt has not been training much at all and other than a few 5 milers and one 11 miler a couple of weeks ago, he has not run much. So he finished the second lap strong, and at 14 miles completed an Awsome run! Great job Matt! Atch had shot ahead here and there for picture opportunities and finished that lap strong as well. On lap 3 Atch set out with me and got me to the base of the first climb before he headed for the truck. I went on to climb the first 3 climbs fairly strong but after a longish downhill thought that I would be better off if I did not do the last two.

I was hoping for negative splits today and didn't get them but I did run 21 miles in the hills today and had an amazing crew help me along! We saw "coach" out there and my wife and daughter even met me at the finish! I could not have felt more supported today.

Thank you all for a great day!
( not sure how to get multiple pictures where I want them yet on screen here! grrrr!)



3 comments:

  1. Hey, bro,

    Geez, after reading today's post, I'm feeling sorta' wimpy complaining about riding just 2 miles on my bike in 34 degree weather. LOL!

    Can't tell you how fun & inspiring it is to read about your training runs.

    keep on having a blast out there!
    love,
    Marla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep it up - A terrific way to raise awareness for a fine cause and you're turning into Superman, too!
    Bravo!
    - Jerr

    ReplyDelete
  3. De-wayne van disco,
    Here's one for you, I have always wanted to run the Appalachian trail throught the Smokies. Its like 85 miles. YOU, could probaly do it all the way through; but me, would be down for taking a small pack and staying in shelters.

    ReplyDelete